Pages

Friday, December 17, 2021

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

The Midnight LibraryThe Midnight Library by Matt Haig
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have been putting off writing this review because I honestly don't think I can do justice to the spirit of the book. Nevertheless, I shall try.

This is my first book by Matt Haig. There is something about him, else who will come up with such a fantastical, other-worldly idea to convey something basic, simple but not easy.

We live our lives making choices and these lead us down one path and not another. We have regrets about the choices we made and think that if only we had chosen differently, life would have been oh-so-much-better. Something like 'If only I had done better at college, if only I had chosen a different career, if only ...if only...if only.' And what if we get a chance to see how each choice would pan out, and see the consequences, and then, can choose the perfect set of choices for a perfect life, would that not be wonderful?

'Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices...Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?'

Perhaps this book came at a time in my life when I needed it, but the core learning is something we all would do good to be aware of and live by. Hopefully I have piqued your interest enough to make you want to read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment